Thursday, January 14, 2010

Linux in Command line mp3 player

Linux in Command line mp3 player

This post is after about a month long hibernation from my blog.
I made my mind up to listen songs as i usually do (it contributes to my hobby). In fact, i was suffering with a headburst headache, so i thought songs might be the stress buster and good entertainer too. What striked my mind was why couldn’t i play the tracks on command line rather playing’em in traditional RhythmBox or Amarok etc. The way i thought, the way i found…some googling let me find such a tool named mpg123, which is nothing but a command line player cum MPEG streamer.
Installation on Ubuntu/Debian: sudo apt-get install mpg123
Installation on RedHat/Fedora/Cent OS: For this, we have to first enable the rpmforge repo and try
yum install mpg123
and you are done.
Go to the shell; Move into your songs folder; and type in mpg123 * as below:
neeraj@nee-pc:/media/LEISURE/fun/songs$ mpg123 *
Just press Ctrl+C , if you want to switch onto the next song in the folder.
Have a glimpse of the mpg123 on my UbuntuBox:

Linux in Command line mp3 player
Play files on the shell itself
Type man mpg123 and you will see what else can you do with this versatile thing.

 
Powered by Blogger